Saturday, October 11, 2014

Law Breakers of India


60 millions children in bondage: It is heartening to know that Kailash Satyarthi of India won Nobel Peace Prize for his relentless and selfless work to liberate children from bonded labor. It is conservatively estimated that there are over 60 million children in bonded labor in India. Just imagine your own child being in this situation. These children grow up as illiterate and poor indentured laborers. This is the ultimate shame of India. The upper and middle class Indians have turned a blind eye on these innocent children.

Astounding: What is astounding is that Kailash Satyarthi is still alive! By now, most people in his position would have been murdered in cold blood by the nexus of corrupt police, the coal mafia and crooked politicians. These three groups are always in cahoots in all illegal activities in India. We read about such illegal activities by the police all the time. Here is an relatively minor example of nexus of crooked police and politicians.


Democratic System: Democratic system runs according to the Laws laid down by the Constitution. It is the bounden duty of Lawmakers (MPs and MLAs) and Law Enforcers (Police) to make sure that the law-abiding citizens are protected and law-beakers are punished.

Criminals in uniform: In India today, both these groups routinely indulge in law breaking with impunity. In other words, today criminals rule India. Ask any Indian today a question: “Do you trust the police?” I guarantee you, 100% will say, “NO!” Everyone knows that they are mostly criminals in uniform. A visit to the police station could cost you your life.

A personal encounter with corrupt and ruthless police: When I was involved in consumer movement in Udupi, I got an unexpected phone call from a doctor working in government clinic in Shirva town. This doctor was my classmate in Bangalore medical College 12 years earlier. Dr. Shetty said he wanted me to come to his house for dinner late one night but without my wife. I suspected that there would be some foul play here, but I decided to go anyway.

The night drive from Katpadi to Shirva was desolate, and there were no streetlights, pedestrians, or traffic during the 8-mile drive. There were wooded areas on both sides. I reached the home of my classmate safely. We reacquainted ourselves.

Threats by the police: Suddenly three police jeeps arrived and five uniformed police officers got down. One of them was Deputy Superintendent of Police, whom I had met once on another occasion. An Inspector, a Sub-inspector and two policemen followed him. Dr. Shetty introduced them me.

Then all of them began to drink whiskey. As they go drunk, the Dy. S. P told me that corruption was part of police work, and if I tried to change that, my life would be in danger. He said, “How could I afford to drink this expensive whiskey if I did not take a bribe? You think we are afraid of people like you? We can dispose you off just like that and no one can do a damn thing about it!”

His subordinates also joined in him in threatening me. I sat there looking at their faces with an enigmatic smile on my face. I am sure they were surprised why I kept my cool. I said or did nothing to provoke them further. I thanked Dr. Shetty for his hospitality and drove back to Udupi.

The need to link up with top officials: A few weeks later, when A. R. Nizamuddin, the Director General of Police of Karnataka came to Udupi for inspection, he told the Dy. S. P. that he wanted to meet with me. What the nervous Dy. S. P. did not know was that A. R. N and I knew each other, and he was responsible for helping me to start the consumer movement in Udupi a few months earlier. When I showed up for the meeting, I saw the same police I had met in Shirva standing in attention on either side as I entered the building! Oh, what a scene it was! I have no hesitation is saying that I am today lucky to be alive, but I would not exchange the experience for anything.

No shortcut: There is no shortcut to solving the culture of corruption in India. People will have to join hands, give up their fear of authority, be willing to risk their lives, and fight back in a methodical nonviolent way. People have no right to expect politicians, bureaucrats and the police to give up their greed unless they too, are willing to give the legacy of their feudal past: fear of authority and passivity.       

 

  




No comments:

Post a Comment