Thursday, January 1, 2015

The Untold Story of the Bhagavad Gita -Series

The Untold Story of the Bhagavad Gita

By K. P. S. Kamath

Author to Reader

Recently a friend of mine told me that my book ‘The Untold Story of the Bhagavad Gita’ was too big to study (460 pages) at a stretch. He said, “Why not give a summary of the book by means of a series of articles?” In the following articles I will give the reader information on the Bhagavad Gita not available in any other source. It took me over 20 years of study of Rig Veda, the Vedanta, the Bhagavad Gita, history of India, Buddhist scriptures of the time, Edicts of Ashoka the Great, and numerous other books and sources of antiquity to write this book.

About me: After practicing psychiatry for forty years in the U.S.A., I retired in 2010. In analyzing thousands of patients with psychiatric problems, I had to use the science of deduction to untangle the complex problems my patients experienced in their befuddled mind. It was my job to unearth hidden meaning of what they said, and to detect inconsistencies between what they said and what he/she did, and arrive at the truth of the matter. Ultimately, accepting that truth liberated my conflicted patients from their neurosis. Those of you familiar with Sherlock Holmes’ method of deduction know what science of deduction is all about. In other words, I had to be a mind detective in my dealings with my clients.

Hindu sacred texts are a jumble: Most Hindu sacred texts are incoherent and self-contradicting. Unless one knew the historical context of every word, phrase, sentence and paragraph, it is impossible to know its true intent and spirit. In the absence of this knowledge, one is likely to resort to fanciful imagination in interpreting it. In the course of my articles I will submit examples of such misinterpretation by great Acharyas with disastrous consequences for India.

Science of deduction: In my research I applied the science of deduction in connecting the seemingly disparate dots I found in the same paragraph or chapter. If one shloka (verse) said one thing and the very next shloka said exactly the opposite, it does not take a genius to deduce that one scribe composed the first one and his opponent composed the next one. If a text comes across incoherent and self-contradictory, common sense told me that someone deliberately added contradicting verses, or scrambled the text to hide something. To get at the truth of the text, I had to do a great deal of detective work.   

Hinduism is in danger: Today Hinduism is in great danger of being hijacked by ignorant Hindu extremists. When responsible Hindus utter nonsense such as elephant headed Ganesha was a product of transplant surgery, we have to sit up and pay attention to its degradation. Today it is fashionable for ignorant ministers, judges, bureaucrats and Hindu extremists to declare the Bhagavad Gita as national text. If you ask these people a simple question, “What is the central message of this text?” they have no sensible answer. Much of what you read in commentaries on this text is utter nonsense. Just as Taliban and other extremist groups have hijacked Islam, several ignorant fanatical Hindu groups are busy hijacking Hinduism. Those of us who still have our senses together must do everything within our means to enlighten people what true Hinduism is all about.

Defensive stance of Hindus: Most Hindus I know think Hinduism is the most perfect Dharma without any blemish. When someone points out to them its darker side, their typical response is, “Islam and Christianity are not any better!” This kind of response is a sign of immaturity, insecurity and ignorance. Brahmanic scribes of ancient India said the same thing when they felt threatened by Buddhism (Read the Bhagavad Gita: 3:35; 18:47-48).  Great institutions are not afraid to know the defects in their system. In fact, they are eager to know them. Unless one acknowledges the deficiencies in the system and takes corrective measures, the system would end up more and more archaic, irrelevant and useless.

Our ancestors were intelligent but not perfect: We Hindus must acknowledge that our ancestors, though very intelligent, were not perfect. They created Sanatana Dharma to address certain sociopolitical issues prevalent in ancient India. They did whatever they did, right or wrong, within the limitation of their intellect, nature and circumstances. We need not be defensive about their actions or results thereof. We need to accept the reality that not everything they created has relevance to modern times, accept the ones that are relevant, reject the ones that are anachronistic, and move on for better future. For example, our ancestors practiced Untouchability till recently. We need to acknowledge this defect in Hinduism, which affected millions of innocent people, and take corrective measures instead of being defensive about it.

Response to my articles: In my articles I will provide adequate proof from the scriptures to back up my findings. Readers could communicate with me about my articles by means of email, and I will try to respond to them as soon as possible. However, anyone wishing to contradict them must provide proof from the scriptures, not just express an opinion based on whatever they heard from someone or read somewhere. Arguments must be sensible and based on solid research. Otherwise I will not address them. I reject kneejerk reactions, personal attacks and ignorant comments.

The Untold Story of the Bhagavad Gita is available on amazon.in, pothi.com, and Flipkart.com/

In the next article, we will study Brahmanism also known as Brahmavāda (BG: 17:24), the most ancient Dharma of India.


No comments:

Post a Comment